[conlang_learners] Creators' permission to use conlangs for this project

Larry Sulky larrysulky at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 14:39:07 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Jim Henry<jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > By my
> > count, only six of the twenty-four languages proposed so far were
> > proposed by their creator, and of the other eighteen, only three
> > others, I think, are created by people who are subscribed to this
> > mailing list.
>
> The three I alluded to there (I hope I'm not overlooking any) are
> Larry Sulky's Ilomi, Arthaey Angosii's Asha'ille, and my own
> gjâ-zym-byn.
>
> Arthaey, Larry: would you object to us learning your conlang and using
> it?

 I would certainly not object, no. Ilomi is now very much in the public
domain; it's not really "mine" anymore.

>   If your conlang is chosen by the vote in September, would you be
> willing to teach people via email or chat or whatever?

I would be in a better position to teach people Qakwan, which is the direct
offspring of Ilomi, and comes equipped with interactive lessons and, if not
a conculture, at least a conhistory. Ilomi's further development and
learning are something I could participate in but would have no more say
over than anyone else; that is to say, I could facilitate others' learning
as a peer more than as a teacher. This may be more of a benefit than a
detriment.

>   How would you
> see the potential real-world speaker community's relationship to your
> conlang's fictional conculture and speaker community?   Would it
> bother you if a version of your conlang evolved from our use of it
> which diverges in various ways from the version of it described by you
> as used by its fictional speakers?

Not at all. The reason I (try to) start from such a rigourous architecture
is because I know divergence WILL occur, and initial rigour helps to keep
things somewhat sensible and "in bounds".

> As for my gzb: I didn't nominate it and I'm not going to campaign for
> it, because I'd like to learn someone else's conlang in company with
> other people;

One thing I re-realised just the other day is that I would love to learn a
conlang well enough to "fake" it when I travel to places whose language I am
trying to learn, so that I can pretend ignorance of English. :-)

---
larry