[conlang_learners] Creators' permission to use conlangs for this project

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:19:38 PDT 2009

2009/6/19 Larry Sulky <larrysulky at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The three I alluded to there (I hope I'm not overlooking any) are
>> Larry Sulky's Ilomi,
>> Arthaey, Larry: would you object to us learning your conlang and using
>> it?

>  I would certainly not object, no. Ilomi is now very much in the public
> domain; it's not really "mine" anymore.

...So would it be more accurate to describe it on the wiki as "free"
or just say that we have the permission of the creator?

> I would be in a better position to teach people Qakwan, which is the direct
> offspring of Ilomi, and comes equipped with interactive lessons and, if not
> a conculture, at least a conhistory. Ilomi's further development and

I like what I've seen of Qakwan so far, though I haven't yet set aside
time to study it as much as I studied Konya and Ilomi some years ago.
 The reason I nominated Ilomi was its corpus of poems and other texts
written by several people who learned it when it was new.   But maybe
Qakwan would be better for this project in some ways... e.g., how
large is its lexicon compared to Ilomi's?

In progressing from Konya to Ilomi to Qakwan (and at least one other
conlang in between, right?), did you manually recreate the entire
lexicon with the new phonology at each stage, or partially automate
the process?  How much did the semantic structure change from one
stage to another, vs. the phonology and morphosyntax?

> learning are something I could participate in but would have no more say
> over than anyone else; that is to say, I could facilitate others' learning
> as a peer more than as a teacher. This may be more of a benefit than a
> detriment.

Hmm.... yes, that might be a good thing.   What do others think?

> One thing I re-realised just the other day is that I would love to learn a
> conlang well enough to "fake" it when I travel to places whose language I am
> trying to learn, so that I can pretend ignorance of English. :-)

When I did my conlang fluency survey, I asked what people used their
conlangs for or planned to use them for.   Fifteen people mentioned
pretending in public that they're a native speaker of their conlang.
The question was phrased ambiguously, so I'm not sure what proportion
of them have actually done so, vs. ones who think it might be cool to
do sometime, maybe when they get more fluent.   Two or three people
gave details, saying they'd spoken in their conlang to deflect
unwanted attention from someone they didn't want to talk to.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/