[conlang_learners] Food for thought

James Montgomery dreamripple at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 11:27:03 PDT 2009

You know, I really hadn't thought much about this, but really started thinking about it with both of these posts.

I agree with respecting the owner's wishes concerning adaptation allowances. If the evolution is something we would like to see, then shouldn't those languages that allow for such adaptations be given greater weight at decision-making time? I'm not saying we would have to have the authority to make the changes, as the creator could do that if s/he so chooses to (or not).

Once the pool of speakers gets large enough (if ever), then it will adapt. Natlangs have shown this to happen of the grand scale and it will happen on the micro scale also. Esperanto is seeing this, to be sure.

If the conlang is inflexible, then increasing the poo, of speakers will cause some potential friction. So, again, should we not give greater weight to those with some mechanism for "official" change?

James