[conlang_learners] Creators' permission to use conlangs for this project

Arthaey Angosii arthaey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 13:39:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Jim Henry<jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Arthaey, Larry: would you object to us learning your conlang and using
> it?

No.

I'd be quite pleased, in fact, if Asha'ille were chosen. (This does
give me quite the incentive to get cracking on some lessons. :) )

> If your conlang is chosen by the vote in September, would you be
> willing to teach people via email or chat or whatever?

Yes.

Email and chat (individual or group) would be no problem at all.

Not sure about "whatever" in the form of Skype or what have you, since
I don't have the hardware set up to do that. If there was a great
clamoring about text-based communication not being good enough, I
could be convinced, I suppose.

> How would you
> see the potential real-world speaker community's relationship to your
> conlang's fictional conculture and speaker community?

My fictional setting includes humans who have
colonized/crash-landed/whatever. Mostly these humans would be
second-language speakers of Asha'ille, if at all.

I myself have written blog posts talking about Real Life stuff, so
that obviously doesn't fit into their conworld setting. I view it as,
what if some Asha'ille speakers time-traveled back to Earth now with
their language and culture -- how would they speak here? That's been
my guiding philosophy.

So our potential speaker community would work under that assumption.
(Of course, I wouldn't stop anyone from role-playing that they were a
feline or human speaker from the conworld. :) )

> Would it
> bother you if a version of your conlang evolved from our use of it
> which diverges in various ways from the version of it described by you
> as used by its fictional speakers?

No.

The few times a friend has tried saying a sentence in Asha'ille,
they've usually botched some aspect of it. I've used this as a source
of dialects. :)

So no, it wouldn't bother me too much if the speaker community
diverged. But presumably the community will *try* to adhere to the
original description, right?

--
AA

http://www.arthaey.com/conlang/