[conlang_learners] Creators' permission to use conlangs for this project

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 11:53:51 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Jim Henry<jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:
> By my
> count, only six of the twenty-four languages proposed so far were
> proposed by their creator, and of the other eighteen, only three
> others, I think, are created by people who are subscribed to this
> mailing list.

The three I alluded to there (I hope I'm not overlooking any) are
Larry Sulky's Ilomi, Arthaey Angosii's Asha'ille, and my own
gjâ-zym-byn.

Arthaey, Larry: would you object to us learning your conlang and using
it?   If your conlang is chosen by the vote in September, would you be
willing to teach people via email or chat or whatever?   How would you
see the potential real-world speaker community's relationship to your
conlang's fictional conculture and speaker community?   Would it
bother you if a version of your conlang evolved from our use of it
which diverges in various ways from the version of it described by you
as used by its fictional speakers?

(Are there other questions we should ask people when telling them
their conlang has been nominated and asking them if it's OK with them
for us to use it?)

As for my gzb: I didn't nominate it and I'm not going to campaign for
it, because I'd like to learn someone else's conlang in company with
other people; but I wouldn't be displeased if it were chosen.   I've
been teaching Brett since he (astonishingly) asked me to teach it to
him a few months ago, and we've created a Google listgroup for it.  I
haven't updated the extremely out of date lessons in a long while, but
I've been working on improvements to the grammar and semantics
documents, and the lexicon, which I hope to finish and post well
before Lars Finsen's turn (using gzb) in the Inverse Relay comes.

gzb doesn't have a fictional conculture associated with it; but I
would not be surprised or displeased if such a conculture develops as
people use it, or if the language-as-used-by-people-who-learn it
evolves away from the language-as-I've-used-it, though that wouldn't
stop me from continuing to privately use my own idiolect.   In the
unlikely event gzb is chosen for this project, I'd be willing to
delegate authority for coining new words in certain semantic domains
to the speaker community at large or holders of specific offices or
roles in the community, a la Brett's ideas in a CONLANG post of a few
weeks ago.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/