[conlang_learners] Welcome, and some proposals for what conlang to learn

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 20:26:59 PDT 2009

2009/6/13 Alexandre Baudry <abaudry at hotmail.com>:
>> From: 0zu149 at gmx.de

> Me too, I am very impressed by Ilaksh and Ithkuil. It seems that these

Learning Ilaksh or Ithkuil would be daunting, but also wonderfully
cool.   They wouldn't be my first-ranked choices among the conlangs
people have mentioned so far -- my preference would be for a conlang
whose speakability has already been somewhat proven by its
creator -- but if one of John Quijada's conlangs is the consensus
winner of an IRV ballot I would not be at all displeased or inclined
to drop out because of the apparent difficulty of learning them.

>> Does someone know whether ressources on Fith still exist?

http://www.langmaker.com/fith.htm

A lot of pages on langmaker seem to be broken, but the Fith
subsection seems OK.

>> > I have nothing against artlangs, but it seems that two lists is better
>> > than one.
>> >
>> Not sure whether it is smart to think about 'riva... err, splitting up now
>> already. It would weaken the idea of the community.
>
> No rivality, just different wishes.

Let's postpone deciding about that for now.   We can discuss
various possible conlangs to learn, and then collect IRV-type
ballots ranking or rating the various conlangs people are
interested in learning; given those ballots, we can analyze the
set of preferences and see if all learning one conlang or splitting
into two or even three groups would maximize average voter
satisfaction, as Sai suggested.

There are over 40 subscribers to this list.  Even if only half
of us stick with the project long enough to start learning
a conlang we pick, dividing into two groups may still leave
groups large enough to be viable.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/