[conlang_learners] criteria for IE

Dayle Hill dwhmusic32 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 12:29:33 PDT 2009

Hypothetically, if my conlang was chosen and it 'evolved' from the combined learning efforts of others..I'd actually be quite excited about that...It's like a dialect, therefore another string the conlang's bow.

Can anyone clear this up for me. Talking about IE languages...but in this context, conlangs of IE influence and style. Is it assumed that a conlang can only be termed IE if it shares a majority of IE lexicon? Especially in the Germanic lingos...for example

English
Scots
West Frisian
Dutch
Low Saxon
German
Gothic
Icelandic
Faroese
Swedish
Danish
Norwegian (Nynorsk)

Apple
Aiple
Apel
Appel
Appel
Apfel
Aplus
Epli
Epl(i)
Äpple
Æble
Eple

You see, I term my conlang as being full of IE traits, but lexically speaking, probably less than 10% of words are derived from any Germanic language, or in fact Slavic, Romance or otherwise, therefore I'm not really sure if it would actually be classed as an IE conlang.
Grammatically, it is similar to IE, with prepositions, adverbs, nom/acc case for pronouns etc...but then there are many syntactical rules that are, in my opinion, unique.
Any ideas? (I ask this because of the unbiast opinions against IE conlangs for this project)
Cheers

"I'm strange to those who are normal, and normal to those who are strange; quite frankly-I prefer the latter"!