[conlang_learners] Creators' permission to use conlangs for this project

Padraic Brown elemtilas at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 17:30:44 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:

> to learn a language, here's how I do it. (This is not how
> most humans do
> it.)
> will be a native speaker
> in this language. ......

Yeah ... "getting in character"! I've done the same while either learning or inventing languages -- perhaps not taking a name per se, but adopting a fictional character through whose eyes and ears I can experience the language and the culture it lives in.

> If we pick an artlang with a conculture -- and maybe even
> if we don't
> -- I think it would be fun and maybe helpful to devise
> names and
> personas for ourselves within the conculture.

No one remembers doing exactly this in SPAN 101 in grammar school? :) I took the name Pedro.

A number of years ago when a bunch of us were learning and helping to work on Brithenig, we all took Brithenig names.

I think it would be a great idea for participants to do that.

> Jim Henry

Padraic