[conlang_learners] gzb's corpus (was Re: Welcome, and some proposals for what conlang to learn)

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 03:53:38 PDT 2009

2009/6/15 Jim Henry <jimhenry1973 at gmail.com>:
[about gzb's corpus]
> most of what isn't
> inherently private, I've been too lazy to transcribe and HTMLize

I wonder whether you'd be open to other people doing so? I wouldn't
mind "publishing" a bit of gzb, and I wonder whether bret-ram would
also be interested.

FWIW, I also made a gzb keyboard layout for vim and one for
Firefox+Transliterator, if you're interested in either of them.

I also tried making a system-wide one with Microsoft's Keyboard Layout
Creator, but that's not really designed around postfix "diacritics".
One can kind of make it work by making just about all letters dead
keys, which combine only with 'x' or 'q', but then something like
'fiq' doesn't work since pressing 'f' does nothing (in case you meant
'fx') and then pressing 'i' causes it to produce 'fi', and then the
'i' isn't treated as a dead key (which could combine with the 'q') but
as a full letter.

Turning it around (and having 'q' and 'x' be dead keys) would probably
work, but I doubt whether that would be interesting to you -- you'd
have to type things like this:

xziq-xgxa-tla soq goq. su jxa-o qp tu-i, kujm-qsar [jexsua-ram] kxa-i
qhqi-zxo, kin twxa-zxo qpqo: {?ryqn-nqo-zxo mwe, kujm-qsar zuqn
pjylm-ta mqi-i qk xsu-o.}

which I doubt you'd get used to any time soon.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>