[conlang_learners] gzb's corpus (was Re: Welcome, and some proposals for what conlang to learn)

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 04:04:55 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Philip Newton<philip.newton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/15 Jim Henry <jimhenry1973 at gmail.com>:
> [about gzb's corpus]
>> most of what isn't
>> inherently private, I've been too lazy to transcribe and HTMLize
>
> I wonder whether you'd be open to other people doing so? I wouldn't
> mind "publishing" a bit of gzb, and I wonder whether bret-ram would
> also be interested.

Do you mean transcribing stuff I send you that I've written, or
writing your own stuff in gzb and publishing it?  Either way, the
answer is yes.

I've been planning to transcribe some more of my translations into gzb
and posting them, as well as making a selection of not-very-private
journal entries (I've already transcribed lots of journal entries for
my online corpus that I use for frequency analysis and usage analysis
of various kinds) for the website -- I've sent David, Brett, and Lars
some of that stuff that's not on the website yet, but there's lots
more where it came from.  Right now though I'm trying to finish my
rewrite of the derivational morphology document well before Lars has
his turn in the inverse relay, and coin more geographical terms that
might be needed for the relay.

I've promised Brett some emailed scans or postal-mailed photocopies of
handwritten gzb stuff, along with a guide to the handwritten gzb
orthography; I hope to get to that later this week.  I can send you
copies as well.

> FWIW, I also made a gzb keyboard layout for vim and one for
> Firefox+Transliterator, if you're interested in either of them.

Definitely in the latter -- and though I wouldn't use the first, I
could put in on my website where other people might eventually find a
use for it.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/