[conlang_learners] shortlist

Padraic Brown elemtilas at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 17:22:05 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 6/19/09, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > So it's not really "exotic" in that sense, but it DOES
> have a
> > conculture... Maybe we could add "cult" for languages
> with an
> > associated conculture that impacts the language?
>
> Maybe so, although "cult" seems like an unfortunate
> abbreviation.

Agreed.

> "Artlang" almost but not quite implies "having a
> conculture";

I wasn't aware of that near implication! I'd always thought of artlangs as conlangs devised for the purely artistic aesthetic of recombinging sound and meaning. They may have a conculture (or even a real culture) involved, or they may not.

> that is
> it's a strong statistical implication, but an artlang
> needn't have a
> conculture by definition.

Indeed! I guess its really just a strong corellation: many artlangers also find it of interest to deepen the artistic aesthetic by informing the language with its own culture and people.

> I'd suggest "fict" for "fictional setting"
> as an abbreviation for anotating our list.

That's better, but still doesn't really tell us whether or not there is a conculture involved. After all, "fictional setting" could indicate that the conlang was devised by a fictional character for some series of stories where the character particicpates in a culture but the language itself is intended to be as culturally neutral as the creator can make it.

I'm just saying!...

Padraic