[conlang_learners] Length of time to learn

Amanda Babcock Furrow langs at quandary.org
Tue Jul 14 04:49:01 PDT 2009

I think some of us here definitely have different goals.

I don't agree with Olivier:

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:38:56PM -0700, Olivier Simon wrote:

> About the time span, I think we shouldn't "stick" to one conlang more
> than 4 months (or even less) before learning a new one.

...I'm in this more for a deep dive into a difficult conlang.

> We shall not forget that this project is a kind of scientific experiment
> and that it'd be interesting to compare what's easy and what's difficult
> with an on-line teaching, with people from all around the world.

...and this does not interest me at all.

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 03:29:40AM -0700, James Montgomery wrote:

> I wanted to take a look at Asha'ille to get a better idea of it. I went
> straight to the grammar, as it's the first thing I do with a natlang or
> conlang.
>
> I started reading through the grammar and felt like it was too complex.

Another case where I do not think there could be a language that would
satisfy him and me at the same time.  Can we still split into groups, like
the proposal to split into an auxlang and an artlang group?  Because I
want something at least as complex as Asha'ille, and as far as pronunciation
goes I hope it should use the IPA and not some fake "closest sound in
English" method!

Amanda