[conlang_learners] Length of time to learn

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 06:38:03 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Amanda Babcock
Furrow<langs at quandary.org> wrote:
> I think some of us here definitely have different goals.
>  Can we still split into groups, like
> the proposal to split into an auxlang and an artlang group?

It's probably a good idea.   If we have two fairly coherent sub-groups
of people in the project interested in different kinds of conlangs,
and those sub-groups are of roughly equal size, then I suspect with
instant-runoff voting that taking the final winner of the vote, and
the conlang with the second-largest number of votes in the final round
of vote-counting, would give us the two conlangs that suit our two
sub-groups best.   I'm not sure if range voting would do the same.
But if the two sub-groups are of very different size, then both of the
top two in the vote might be artlangs, or both auxlangs.... Maybe we
should split ourselves into groups before the vote, and do separate
votes?

Straw poll: how many of you have a strong preference for an artlang
over any possible auxlang, or for an auxlang (or a simple artlang?)
over more complex artlangs?

> Because I
> want something at least as complex as Asha'ille, and as far as pronunciation
> goes I hope it should use the IPA and not some fake "closest sound in
> English" method!

A more complex artlang would suit me pretty well too, and I dislike
use of fauxnetics to the exclusion of IPA (not necessarily in addition
to IPA) -- but I wouldn't object to a fairly simple conlang either; I
was the one who nominated Ilomi and Kalusa, as well as Alurhsa and
Teonaht.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/