[conlang_learners] Verdurian

Padraic Brown elemtilas at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 14:00:23 PDT 2009

At Jim's suggestion, I had a look at Verdurian to scope out its possibilities. The main source for Verdurian is at http://www.zompist.com/verdurian.htm, and is a huge resrource for the language. The language seems to have gotten its start (like many of our languages) when Mark was young and having been introduced to some kind of fantasy world, in this case, D&D.

I have to say, from a *not intense look* into the language, that it doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard for the group to study and learn. Not only is Mark available to help, but the language itself is extremely well documented. There is a series of ten lessons that hit all the major points of V grammar, lexicon and culture. There is also a huge traditional reference grammar that details all the usuals: phonology, morphology and syntax. You learn all kinds of interesting things about V culture along the way -- important for as we all know a language lives within its culture, and culture in its turn informs language.

There are several dictionaries: V->E, E->V, thematic and a "secret dictionary" that gives words that could be used to describe modern Earth culture (there being no airplanes and computers in Verduria).

The language itself seems to be loosely based on whatever was familiar to Mark when he was creating it. You can recognise a lot of I-E influenced roots in there.

I would recomend it as a strong possible. On the merits of its documentation alone, I'd rank it higher than many other conlangs I know including my own.

Padraic