[conlang_learners] Conlang learners vote: results

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:31:16 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Philip Newton<philip.newton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Amanda, Matthew, and I have counted the votes and have come to the
> conclusion that the voting is a tie between Kēlen and gjâ-zym-byn.

Wow.  I am flummoxed and honored.

In the medium term I will do everything I can to make things easy and
interesting for those of you who choose to learn gjâ-zym-byn.  I'll be
rewriting the lessons and adding more, and finishing the unfinished
draft sections of the grammar and semantics documents, and I'll see
about getting sound files up somewhere, both samples of the phoneme
inventory and me reading connected text.  However, in the short run, I
can't do much, except answer your questions for the next few days.
I'm busy translating the inverse relay torch from gzb into Kaleissin's
Taruven, and getting ready for a road trip, where I'll be out of town
and probably with infrequent or nonexistent Internet access from 14-21
September.

If you get stuck with something re: gzb, you might want to look at
Kēlen or something until I get back in town and can answer questions.

Philip et alia: I suppose you have already contacted Sylvia?  If not,
we should do so ASAP.  After that, we should announce the results of
this vote and the beginning of the learning phase of the project to
CONLANG, ZBB, Livejournal conlangs community, etc.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Mechthild Czapp<0zu149 at gmx.de> wrote:

> So, fellow Kēlen-learners, hands up!

(raises hand)

> Will we split conlang_learners or just prefix messages with [Kēlen] or [gzb]?

For now, I suggest posting to conlang_learners with [kelen] a tag, but
within a day or two we should contact Sylvia, find out if she wants to
host a Kēlen mailing list on terjemar.net or is cool with us hosting
it on lists.conlang.org, and then create a list or let her create one.

For gzb, you can post to this list with [gzb] tags if you want in the
short run, but why not go ahead and join the existing mailing list?
Send email to:

gjax-zym-byn-subscribe at googlegroups.com

Or visit

http://groups.google.com/group/gjax-zym-byn

and click the "Join this group" link in the right-hand margin.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Philip Newton<philip.newton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it was a factor of the large number of choices relative to the
> number of voters (and especially to the number of ballots cast), so
> most languages only had a handful of votes; the counting was pretty
> sensitive to minor changes in ballots.

A lot of people had subscribed to the list who were curious about the
project but apparently not intending to participate.  Several people
unsubcribed between the time the voting rules were finalized and the
voting started, for instance.  And taking posting to the list as a
proxy for interest in the project, I think only a bit more than half
of the people subscribed at the peak ever posted anything.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Philip Newton<philip.newton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I ended up writing a script to count votes, which was also fun in itself :)

Wherever we create a repository for stuff related to the project, that
script should be stored there, so it can be used whenever we vote on
another language to learn next.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/gzb/gzb.htm