[conlang_learners] Conlang learners vote: results

Mechthild Czapp 0zu149 at gmx.de
Wed Sep 9 03:47:01 PDT 2009

> An: conlang_learners <conlang_learners at conlang.org>
> CC: conlang_learners_vote <conlang_learners_vote at conlang.org>
> Betreff: [conlang_learners] Conlang learners vote: results

> Fellow conlangers!
>
> Amanda, Matthew, and I have counted the votes and have come to the
> conclusion that the voting is a tie between Kēlen and gjâ-zym-byn.
> Both languages have ten first-place votes (after reassigning votes
> from other ballots) out of 20 non-exhausted ballots.

Thanks for your prompt work. As it seems, the voters have spoken (these bastids* ;) ).

*this is meant as a joke. Please don't feel insulted by it, I mean, it includes myself as well...

> Where multiple languages have the same number of first-place votes, we
> used the number of total votes for that language as a tie-breaker;
> however, even this was not sufficient to give a clear winner; both
> Kēlen and gjâ-zym-byn have 14 votes each.
>
> Jim suggested not assigning equal weight to each language, but to use
> linear or exponential backoff (so a first-place vote is worth 1, and
> subsequent votes are worth 1 - 0.0X*(place-1) or 0.Y^(place-1)), but
> even this did not give a clear winner; they both ended up with a near
> tie between Kēlen and gjâ-zym-byn, and which came out first depended
> on the method and the exact factor used, with the tie-breaker values
> typically being within about 1.5% of each other.

That's pretty extreme. And definitely the weirdest IRV-result ever...

> So we've decided to declare the vote a tie; of 20 valid
> (non-exhausted) ballots at the end of voting, exactly half were for
> each language.
>
> We suggest that those who ranked Kēlen over gjâ-zym-byn or only listed
> Kēlen learn Kēlen, those who ranked gjâ-zym-byn over Kēlen or only
> listed gjâ-zym-byn learn that language, and that those who picked
> neither pick whichever one of the two they prefer.

So, fellow Kēlen-learners, hands up!

Will we split conlang_learners or just prefix messages with [Kēlen] or [gzb]?

> Participation was 28/58, or 48%, of which one ballot was empty.

Rather low, unfortunately :( Even municipal elections get a higher turnout.

--
Va'xen tekne'het jasam alna! Va'xen tekne'het ojyu alna! Va'xen tekne'het tene'xen!
Let us make the world more colorful! Let us make the world crazier! Let us make the world our world!