[conlang_learners] Food for thought

Clayton Cardoso clayton.c at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:16:47 PDT 2009

Hello, I'm Clayton from Brazil and this is my first email to the list. I'm
willing to learn a new conlang but unfortunately I have no full-fledged
conlang offers to make, so I will be glad to just help pick one.

As for the conlang maturation, I think it's fair to expect a
"prescriptivist" help from the creator whenever we want to express an idea.
If the creator is unable (or unwilling) to come up with a suggestion, then I
think we should feel free to have our contributions to the language.

Clayton

2009/6/23 kate rhodes <masukomi at masukomi.org>

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2009/6/23 kate rhodes <masukomi at masukomi.org>:
>> [Toki Pona]
>> > the total inability to indicate the center of a circle
>>
>> What's wrong with "insa sike"?
>>
>> "insa" can be "centre", and "sike" is essentially "circle".
>

> hrm maybe that's changed. I would have sworn that, once upon a time, circle
> and center were the same word, and you could be in a circle but you couldn't
> be at the center of a circle. A couple of us brought it up on the list and
> the problem was essentially dismissed. It was quite a while ago though. The
> basic point remains that a language that isn't free to evolve can be very
> frustrating to users who need to communicate things that the creator didn't
> anticipate.
>
> -Kate

GCS$/O d? s-:- a- C+++ L+$ W++$ w+ PS++ PE- Y+ t+ R tv-- b e++ h r++ y+++*