[conlang_learners] Food for thought

kate rhodes masukomi at masukomi.org
Tue Jun 23 12:38:44 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/6/23 kate rhodes <masukomi at masukomi.org>:
> [Toki Pona]
> > the total inability to indicate the center of a circle
>
> What's wrong with "insa sike"?
>
> "insa" can be "centre", and "sike" is essentially "circle".

hrm maybe that's changed. I would have sworn that, once upon a time, circle
and center were the same word, and you could be in a circle but you couldn't
be at the center of a circle. A couple of us brought it up on the list and
the problem was essentially dismissed. It was quite a while ago though. The
basic point remains that a language that isn't free to evolve can be very
frustrating to users who need to communicate things that the creator didn't
anticipate.

-Kate