[conlang_learners] IE vs non IE

James Montgomery dreamripple at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 06:19:52 PDT 2009

I am definitely guilty of saying IE when I really restrict my meaning to  Romlangs. I'll be better about that distinction in the future. I just read a post (and accidentally deleted it) concerning this that I wanted to comment on as well.

I certainly don't have a problem with Romlangs. I took two years of French and studied some Spanish on my own. The grammer of Latin (self-study) bested me for the moment. I have some Esperanto course materials and books.

Romlangs are just too similar to what I've already done. I'm not saying they're too easy or not worth it in any manner. Quite the opposite when the fine details and distinctions are truly followed to near-native fluency.

Part of it is that Romlangs sound alike, which is good for learning pronunciation quickly, but takes away a little of the appeal for me. The -aj and -oj of Esperanto was what turned me off to that. Sound of the language is an important consideration of mine, which is another reason for not studying something like Klingon. http://www.videosift.com/video/Classic-Daily-Show-Steve-Carell-Goes-Klingon Sorry, couldn't help myself there...

All of the IE talk is making me wish that PIE wasn't the umberhulk that it is.

James