[conlang_learners] writing vrs speaking

Rachael Amarant amarrach at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 20:52:49 PDT 2009

I think that as a group we should aim to at least be able to write in the chosen language, however, I also think it would be cool to actually be able to speak in the language. In reality though I suppose the goals would depend largely on the overall complexity of the language.

Obviously some languages would be easier to learn than others, such as Esperanto, therefore if the chosen language has minimal or no irregularity then I think we should aim to be able to eventually be speak and write in that language. However if the language is full of irregularities then I think we should just keep our goals to simply be able to write in the language, and then depending on the groups interest with that language we could extend our goals to eventually be able to speak in that language.

We should also keep in mind that some people will have more time to practise the language than others, so perhaps individual goals would be best. Cheers.