[conlang_learners] Food for thought

Dayle Hill dwhmusic32 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 02:42:40 PDT 2009

You know what's going to be interesting about this project? The degree of how much the chosen conlang may change or mature.

It's like: you paint a wall in your house, just plain white. But then you start adding pictures or other colours, borders; it picks up dirty marks from the dog or the children, and over time it's no longer the white wall it once was. Thats a bit like our conlangs; when we create them, they're quite rigid at first, not too dynamic. But after a while, we change things (or others change or influence it) and it becomes much more dynamic and 'colourful.

Sometimes our own thinking becomes quite narrow, and the introduction of a fresh mind can have some interesting results.

Another thing I was thinking about, was the stylistic value of a conlang (or indeed a natlang). I think that the hardest part of learning a language is not the grammar or lexicon, but its style. This is something I feel that can't really be taught, but has to be felt or understood from the heart. If I can give a tiny example: "There is a dog in the garden"...but say in German: "Es gibt einen Hund im Garden". Then quite literally translate that: "It gives a dog in the garden". Very different in style.

I think this is going to be another interesting feature of this project; seeing how we adapt to the style of the chosen conlang.
Dayle

"I'm strange to those who are normal, and normal to those who are strange; quite frankly-I prefer the latter"!