[conlang_learners] hello everyone!

Padraic Brown elemtilas at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 06:24:44 PDT 2009

--- On Wed, 7/29/09, falcata at conlang.org <falcata at conlang.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I joined the list last weekend but only now managed to find
> some time to
> write a few words.
> Some of you might know me from the Conlang List, so for
> those that do not
> I'll introduce myself.
> My name is Jorge, my screen (or web) name is falcata and
> I'm from Portugal.

Bom dia! (I think I got that right?)

> Can you fill me in on how this is done? There seems to be a
> voting for
> something, but I missed the beginning of the thread and,
> because I'm using
> a phone to post, I can't check the archives now.

Basically, the group's aim is to decide upon one conlang (from the list at http://wiki.frath.net/Learners_shortlist) and then embark upon the quest of learning that conlang to the point that a smallish community of speakers (really readers and writers!) will develop. Future goals involve things like continuing to learn and use the chosen conlang, create literature and expand upon the lexicon.

It's not intended to become political like many IAL efforts have been, but that doesn't mean a well crafted auxlang can't be chosen for the project.

> I wonder if anyone here is already trying to learn
> Ithkuil?
> If this is true, can I join and how?

Ithkuil has been bandied about, and as you can see is on the list of possibles. You've already joined, and it is up to you whether you wish to participate in the vote and eventually in learning whatever language happens to be chosen, whether Ithkuil or another.

Cheers,
Padraic