[conlang_learners] khanjis in Sambahsa

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 00:34:48 PDT 2009

2009/7/25 Olivier Simon <cafaristeir at yahoo.com>:
> I've invented an optional system, which allows to use some hanzis/kanjis to write Sambahsa: http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/Khanjis-in-Sambahsa

If wisteria is a significant/common word in Sambahsa (it was used in
the example text there), why not use its kanji ÌÙ? That would
presumably stand fro the Sambahsa word "blouseut". I'd also suggest ¼Ò
for "dom". And is "schangdien" derived from Chinese? In which case you
might consider assigning that hanzi, too.

Additionally, your characters seem to be a mix of traditional forms
(ýˆ), Chinese simplifications (º× öÞ), and Japanese simplifications (w šn
è dz ÝX), and the meanings come partly from Japanese (³à È®) and partly
from Chinese (±ù).

I'd recommend that you try to be more consistent at least in the forms
-- pick either traditional, Chinese simplifications, *or* Japanese
simplifications. Picking characters for a given meaning from only
Chinese or only Japanese is good idea, too, IMO, but the form issue
seems more important to me. (Otherwise it would be a bit like someone
from, say, Arabia borrowing Latin letters for certain uses but MiXinG
cApitAl And loWer-cAse leTTers seeMinGly hAphAzardly (A G M T W X
always big, the others always small, in this case).)

Finally, "¿à" stands for both "muschkil" and "bitter"; I'm not sure
whether that's intentional or not, but all the other characters seem
to stand for exactly one sequence of letters.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>