[conlang_learners] Conversing in the chosen one!

Daniel Jacobson mustanghockey10 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:45:32 PDT 2009

My own goal is that for me there won't be an 'end' to this learning process. At least that's how I see learning any language (even including one's mother language). The law of diminishing returns applies here in that equal amounts of time invested as this process goes on won't produce the same amount of learning (or maybe that's not true), but the way I see it, there's always something to learn, or, with the way it will surely be as this project gets into its later stages, something to innovate.

Conversing in this chosen language is probably going to require some level of innovation for awhile; I also think that, even though we may not have much opportunity to speak the language (as a related question, would there ever be a meet-up for this language community?), we should try writing "speech" forms, if they don't already exist in the language: filler-/pause-words, ways of calling one's attention, expressions of agreement, etc. Even some quicker form of writing pretty common words will likely arise at some time...

Those are my 2 cents for today. :-)

-Daniel J.

I guess this is what we typically learn when we begin to learn foreign languages anyway. Of course, when you attend  courses or classes, you normally begin with stock phrases and 'contrived' conversations, which is ok to get the ball rolling, but I dont see that happening here (which I think isn't too bad a thing) unless the author of the chosen conlang has created some course like lessons?

Some people will inevitably become more fluent than others (I think this has already been touched upon), therefore I'll be setting my own targets, as you all probably will.

It's going to be very interseting to see how the learning stage will pan out.
Dayle