[conlang_learners] Asha'ille

Arthaey Angosii arthaey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:57:41 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 3:29 AM, James Montgomery<dreamripple at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wanted to take a look at Asha'ille to get a better idea of it.

Thanks for taking the time to look at Asha'ille! I know my website
still has plenty of room for improvement, so your comments are very
welcome. I'd like some more details, though...

> I started reading through the grammar and felt like it was too complex.
> If I was an English grammar major or linguist, it would probably be
> cake. I play with DNA, not Deixis.

I probably could rewrite sections of my grammar better with
non-linguists in mind... Thanks for the feedback.

> The pronunciation isn't in user-friendly form, although I'm sure
> it is very precise. It looks like a bunch of heiroglyphs to me.

Do you mean the IPA pronunciations? Are these frowned upon for this project?

I suppose I could write the pronunciations in both IPA and fauxnetics,
then let visitors chose which one they would prefer to see...

> I did like the originality of the words I saw

Thank you. A priori will do that for you. ;)

> but would have a hard time internalizing them without
> the pronunciation being a bit more intuitive.

The pronunciation-from-spelling is very phonetic (that is, a written
letter always corresponds to one sound), with the exception of "i"
meaning both "ee" and "ih".

Would changing the way I *represent* the pronunciation from IPA to
ad-hoc make this less of a problem? Or maybe stressing how to figure
out the pronunciation directly from the spelling?

> Some of the examples given are very easy to understand.

Thanks! I specifically focused on the easiest example sentences that
would show the grammar point under discussion.

> I've also noticed that the problem in English with
> heteronyms would be easy to have here.

I'm not sure I can think of many examples of heteronyms, actually.
What gives you this impression? Perhaps I have written something
confusingly on the grammar page that gave the wrong impression.

--
AA
http://www.arthaey.com/conlang/