[conlang_learners] Voting

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 07:56:32 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Padraic Brown<elemtilas at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 7/13/09, Dayle Hill <dwhmusic32 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I think, in the final vote, I'd be
>> nice to see specific reasons as to why someone is
>> nominating a certain conlang?

There are various reasons to prefer a secret ballot; but of course if
someone wants to make their own vote and the reasons for it partially
or wholly public they can.

As I said, I plan to look more closely at many or even all of the
conlangs nominated and post here what I think about them, but if we
move the vote up I won't have time to look at all of them more than I
have already.

> I think a short questionnaire gauging opinion and hopes for the project, reasons for choosing this conlang / this kind of conlang, and desireable outcomes befóre the project gets going would be helpful, in conjunction with an exit questionnaire (hopes realised or dashed, goals attained or missed, surprises) at the project's conclusion, for future iterations.

That's probably a good idea, except for a potential problem with
defining the project's conclusion.   When is it over?  When none of
the people who started out with the project are still studying the
chosen conlang?  When a certain percentage of them have dropped out?
When a certain amount of time has passed?   When some of us start
discussing and voting on what conlang to learn next, even if some are
still studying the first-chosen conlang?

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/