[conlang_learners] What will you do the first day?

Daniel Jacobson mustanghockey10 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 10 11:44:42 PDT 2009

> From: jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
> To: conlang_learners at conlang.org
> Subject: Re: [conlang_learners] What will you do the first day?
>
> >> Von: Brett Williams <mungojelly at gmail.com>
>
> >> I've been feeling impatient about choosing the language, haven't you?
> >> I mean I do think it makes sense to set a longish schedule like this,
>
> Does anyone want to move the schedule up, then? I mean, I am busy
> studying Taruven for the Inverse Relay and will be until the beginning
> of September, but if others want to get started sooner, that's fine; I
> (and perhaps others now busy with learning their target languages for
> the relay) would join you later.

I wouldn't be against starting earlier; I have a few other things I'm doing, but there's time in there to be studying a new language each day. Besides, school will start in September for me so there will be even less time then to be studying something else. As far as voting, I would prefer just one vote in total; I don't think we need to make it too complicated of a selection process.

> >> So what will you do the first day?
>
> Organizationally, there is going to be some work to be done re:
> creating the repositories Mechthild mentioned, contacting the
> conlang's creator to tell them their conlang was chosen, etc. We
> should plan ahead who's going to do that, and split up the tasks so
> all of them can reasonably be done in the first day or two after the
> conlang is chosen.

I can volunteer to do something simple like contacting the conlang's creator or buying napkins for the selection party (just kidding), but best to leave the computer-related stuff to others.

As for the first day, I will just begin devouring as much material as I can in the language and begin trying to incorporate it as completely as possible. I don't know when I'll try to begin original production in the language; I guess as soon as I feel capable, maybe a week or two.