[conlang_learners] ASCII and alt codes

Dayle Hill dwhmusic32 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 12:50:48 PDT 2009

Could someone explain to me in layman's terms what exactly ASCII is please? Is it simply typing without the use of diacritics or special characters?
With regard to this, like Roger, I use the alt+num method for Dalcurian (but I know not if this works on all standard keyboards, or in fact only with Windows), here is a good site for alt codes: http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html#accent

Jim wrote: I think Dayle here was just talking about an alternate
all-ASCII orthography for Dalcurian.

Correct, and although a recent addition to the language (in fact, introduced for this project), I had been thinking about it for sometime; I'm really not keen on how highly diacritical Dalcurian is now-but thats how it is so cant change it!

I'm pretty sure that the author of the chosen conlang, be it diacritical, wouldn't mind an alternate spelling if its going to cause problems for some people?
Dayle

"I'm strange to those who are normal, and normal to those who are strange; quite frankly-I prefer the latter"!