[conlang_learners] Conversing in the chosen one!

Dayle Hill dwhmusic32 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 15:49:32 PDT 2009

At what level of fluency do we anticipate, or indeed expect to arrive at with the chosen conlang? I know we won't be conversant in Thermo-Nuclear Physics, or be able to discuss the complex issues of mental health (or maybe we will?), but my reckoning is that for this project, or at least because this is the first one, if we become conversational, as in being able to:
talk about ouselves:
self description,
height, weight, hair colour,
likes, dislikes, hobbies,
favourite films, music,
where we live, is it nice, not nice,
our family, siblings
describing a typical day in our lives and our work
where we like to travel and how we get there...........etc etc etc...then this is an excellent achievement. And I dont mean just being able to reel off the above mentioned as monotonous, one-clausical sentences:
"My name is Dayle. I am 37 years old. I live in North East England. I have 3 children. They are called blah blah and blah blah. I have a dog. It thinks it's a cat. I play guitar and piano. I like music.......zzzzzz yawn yawn! Having said that...that in itself may still be an acheivement depending on the complexity of the conlang?

I guess this is what we typically learn when we begin to learn foreign languages anyway. Of course, when you attend  courses or classes, you normally begin with stock phrases and 'contrived' conversations, which is ok to get the ball rolling, but I dont see that happening here (which I think isn't too bad a thing) unless the author of the chosen conlang has created some course like lessons?

Some people will inevitably become more fluent than others (I think this has already been touched upon), therefore I'll be setting my own targets, as you all probably will.

It's going to be very interseting to see how the learning stage will pan out.
Dayle

"I'm strange to those who are normal, and normal to those who are strange; quite frankly-I prefer the latter"!