[conlang_learners] Voting procedure wiki page

Amanda Babcock Furrow langs at quandary.org
Sat Aug 29 12:54:38 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 02:55:55PM -0400, Jim Henry wrote:

> We can try to do that, but I'm uncertain about it; I seem to recall
> that when we created the conlang_learners list it took several days
> for certain information to propagate so that everybody could subscribe
> to it and all subscribers could post to it.

I believe the issue was the lack of MX records for conlang.org, which
is a "solve once, use many" type problem.  It doesn't need to be
redone for each @conlang.org list.

> Given that this
> vote-counters list would have the reverse of the usual functionality,
> i.e. anybody can post to it but only members can read the posts, I
> shouldn't be surprised if there are more than the usual number of
> kinks to work out at first.

It's true the settings would be different: closed to new members,
open to non-member posters.  That should be easy to test before
Tuesday, though.

> What might be simpler is for one of you to create an ad-hoc Gmail or
> Yahoo mail account and share the password with the other two
> vote-counters and the email address with the conlang_learners list at
> large.  Do you see any problems with that?

Not if we trust all the password-holders not to delete votes, I don't :)
(A list is much safer as far as an electronic paper trail for votes!)

However, if we choose the ad-hoc gmail route, somebody who has created
such an ad-hoc email account before should do the honors.

Amanda