[conlang_learners] Láadan followup

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 06:59:32 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Jim Henry<jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/20 kate rhodes <masukomi at masukomi.org>:
>
>> I just added Láadan to the list.

> ........ It wasn't obvious at first where Láadan
> speakers (or just learners) hang out; it turns out the web fora and
> mailing lists are under "Links".
>
> One of them appears to be a broken link (the Feminist SF Láadan
> forum); the Yahoo group's archives aren't public, and I don't have
> time to join it to look at the archives at the moment, but will do so
> later.  The LiveJournal Láadan community is low-activity (the last 19
> posts go back almost two years), and except for translation exercises
> and greetings, it looks like all the conversation is in English.
> Still, it has far more of a community built around it than any of the
> other conlangs we've considered.

Some time ago I tried to join the Yahoo Láadan mailing list, but was
unsuccessful in doing so either using the web interface or by emailing
the list owner address.  And there hadn't been any new posts to the
list for some time.  Paradoxically, that makes me *more* inclined to
rank it highly on my ballot when we vote; I see the mandate of this
project as being to create a speaker community where none exists, or
revive a moribund one, not add another few speakers to an existing
speaker community.  It looks like if we all dive in and learn Láadan
we will be reviving a somewhat moribund speaker community (though not
as thoroughly moribund as that of Kalusa or Ilomi).

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/