[conlang_learners] Learning Kēlen

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:43:51 PDT 2009

2009/9/9 Andrej Šuc <ashucky at gmail.com>:
>> Sylvia should be an admin, I think.  And I can be an admin as well.
>> Does anyone else who's learning Kēlen want to volunteer?
>
> What exactly would one have to be doing as an admin?

Read the list frequently.  If someone is posting off-topic or
offensive messages, warn them.  If they keep doing it over and over,
ban them.  If someone (or more likely somebot) posts spam, ban them
immediately with no warning.  You probably won't have to warn or ban
anyone -- conlangers are a polite, well-behaved lot -- but you need to
be prepared.  lists.conlang.org is obscure enough that it hasn't
attracted any spambots yet, but it pays to be prepared.

This is aimed more at moderating weblog comment areas and other web
fora than mailing lists, but some of it applies to our situation as
well:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/006036.html

I think we ought to have at least two active moderators, so one can
take prompt action in case of trouble when the other one is out of
town or having Internet connection issues, as I'll be all next week.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/