[conlang_learners] [gzb] What to work on next?

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:22:49 PDT 2009

I'm soliciting feedback from those of you who are interested in
learning gjâ-zym-byn on what you would like to see next on the
website.  None of this is stuff I could do before I return from my
road trip next week, however.

I have partially finished drafts of these sections for the grammar and
semantics documents:

* an extensive rewrite of the derivational morphology section
* ditto for the comparison section of the grammar
* a section on interjections
* a rewrite of the section on argument structures of verbs
* more on modifiers for attribution and predication

Stuff I haven't even started writing, but have vague plans for, include:

* a new document on pragmatics / stylistics, including conversational
patterns, forms of address, etc.
* a section of the semantics document on senses and their input
* a section on the semantics of equivalents of "find" and "lose"

A number of lexical items in the lexicon, mostly adverbial particles,
have TODO notes on them saying they need a write-up in the grammar as
well as a lexicon entry.

And I want to rewrite the lessons, bringing them up to date, reformat
them as Unicode HTML, and write more lessons.  James McCleary
suggested a more-conveniently-printable-format version of some or all
of the documents; I think the lexicon is the document that needs such
an alternate-format version most, which implies some (probably minor)
changes to the Perl scripts that creates the HTML lexicon from the
tab-delimited text lexicon.  I also have some texts in gzb that have
been transcribed as ASCII files but don't have interlinear or
hyperlinked glosses yet, and several others that exist only on paper.

I've also thought vaguely about ways to improve the flashcard script
so it's more useful to beginners.  Suggestions from others are
welcome.

Which of these do you think is most important or urgent for me to
finish next?  Or is there something I haven't mentioned that you'd
like to see, some area of the language you think is under-documented?

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/