[conlang_learners] Comments on Feayran

David E cryoforion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 02:01:51 PDT 2009

Thank you for your feedback, Jim!

One oddity is that the grapheme <y> doesn't seem to occur in either the
> tutorial or
> the reference grammar's account of Feayran orthography, so I'm not
> sure how to pronounce the name "Feayran" itself.  Presumably it's an
> anglicization of a native word.

Ah. I thought I had an explanation of that on the website someplace...it
probably got lost in shuffling some other material. The word "Feayran" (and
"feayr") are external names coined by a different culture in Feayran's
conworld setting. I use them in place of the internal titles simply because
"Feayran" is much easier to type than the internal name, "Laaoshte
Kimoiatuaianoi."

> There are six texts on the website, totalling around 800 words; they
> have smooth English translations but no interlinear glosses.  That's a
> respectable corpus, though not as impressive as Vabungula's or
> Alurhsa's.

That's a splendid idea! I've added a separate page, linkable from the
Translations page, which contains full glosses of the translated texts.
(Currently only the two longer texts are glossed--the remaining passages
will be forthcoming.)

> The website design is generally very visually pleasing, although I'm
> not fond of the choice to devote about a fourth of the screen real
> estate to a marginal background image.

Ah. That's actually not supposed to be the case--the left margin should be
occupied by a navigation bar, and the right margin houses a reference bar on
some of the lesson pages. I suspect that the reason you weren't seeing the
navbar is that you had javascript disabled; this has now been fixed.

> The navigational
> linking is a bit lacking, with some subpages not having links back to the
> top-level page, but for the most part it's an easy site to find one's
> way around.

This was probably due mostly to not having the navbar on the left side. I've
fixed it now, so you should see it displayed even without javascript
enabled.

Thanks again for the commentary! It was most helpful--I'd appreciate any
further criticism people have time to shoot my way.

--David Edwards