[conlang_learners] Submission of conlangs

Brett Williams mungojelly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:29:23 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Amanda Babcock Furrow
<langs at quandary.org> wrote:

> I think that's a great idea, but I also personally would rather choose one
> language and stick with it - with the idea of building a community of
> speakers for that language, not just to move on to the next one.  If others
> feel the same, there might be some attrition after the first round or two.

My expectation is that we'll end up with only a small group of people
who study The Language well enough to be conversational in it.  That's
a tremendous amount of work with any language.  But I think we'll have
a lot of people continue to be connected with The Language to some
degree.  My experience with conlang communities is that the people who
are casually involved are also very important to a language's health.
Everyone can choose their own relationship and role.

Since we've never done this before, I don't think we should start
trying to schedule a second round until we've started in on The
Language and we've seen how that works.  The best case scenario I
imagine is that The Language quickly develops a dedicated community,
and it's clear right away that coming back and doing another round
won't harm its ongoing progress.  But I don't see any way to guess now
what it will actually look like then.

<3,
brett
aka