[conlang_learners] Submission of conlangs

Kelvin Jackson kechpaja at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 19:19:10 PDT 2009

> Could be. This certainly isn't a short-term project. But is it a
> life-long affair
> either? I would imagine that learners could easily spend three to
> six months getting a good feel for the language and another six
> perfecting their skill. But at what point does the cycle end? Is
> this really a spring-board for a full-fledged speaking community?
> Are we expecting people to teach these conlangs to their kids? That
> I really would have a problem with, and would never want someone to
> (ab)use my conlangs that way.

I don't think there would be any inflexible expectations about what
any individual would do beyond a certain point. Certainly nothing as
long-term as life-long. Any full-fledged speaking community would be
composed entirely of willing participants. I don't think anybody
would be forced to stay with the project if they don't like it. I
imagine that the expected commitment would be similar to that for a
course in a school—that is, you stick with the project for a certain,
limited, set amount of time (probably a couple of months) and then
you get to choose whether you want to continue from then on.

> I guess it's cos I see conlangs as pieces of art. I mean, becoming
> part of a real honest-to-God speaking community for a conlang is
> rather like buying a statue of a nymph and going to bed with her...

That analogy might be going a little bit too far.:)

-Kelvin