[conlang_learners] Submission of conlangs

Sai Emrys conlangs at saizai.com
Thu Jun 18 09:29:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Padraic Brown<elemtilas at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had also thought, though I may be wrong, that this is not just a one-off deal. In other words, if for example Verdurian were chosen in Sept., there's no reason the project couldn't start over with another language chosen by Sol Invictus.

I think that's an important point. How much time will be spent
learning the chosen language? Suppose this is a regular thing (which
IMHO would be good), would each language need/merit differing amounts
of time? (For extreme example, I would bet that Esperanto would be far
easier to learn than Ithkuil. But then, one could probably "learn as
much" in the same amount of time; in the first case, more cultural
stuff, in the latter a more complex language.)

I'd ballpark about 3-6 months per, depending on the amount of effort
involved and depth you want out of it. I suspect that achieving second
language fluency is a bit too high a goal... but then, perhaps not.
;-)

> That way in stead of 100 people learning one language, we might have a more manageable "class size" of say 20 to 40 each learning a different language.

What's the current list size? What's the necessary amount to achieve
critical mass? What's the method that'll be used, given that no
language is likely to have an actual instructor per se (so much as
documentation of varying quality and extent)?

- Sai