[conlang_learners] Submission of conlangs

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:54:10 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Padraic Brown<elemtilas at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it should be thought of not so much as "submitting" your own conlang, as if there were a form to fill out, as "making the list aware" of your conlang's mere existence. And since there was some talk of contacting creators and seeking permission, interest, etc., it might not be a bad idea for willing conlangers to simply state up front whether they're willing or not or whether they consider their project advanced enough for the proposed goal.

OK, that makes sense.

> Also, I think it's a bad idea to rely solely on the nomination of others --

Perhaps so; still, recommendations from people other than the
conlang's creator tend to carry more weight.

> Especially given the considerable opinion against IE and Romance conlangs: such might not even be nominated if it became assumed that such languages were not welcome in this project.
> While I am sure it is not the case, it does appear to me from the "short list" discussions that the ultimate object of the project has already, or very nearly already, been decided upon, and that it should not be an IE conlang in any way!

I hope it hasn't appeared so.  Various ones of us have expressed
preferences about the general kind of conlang we want to learn, and
some of us have proposed specific conlangs to learn; but we're not
going to vote on which one to learn until early September.  There's
plenty of time for people to nominate more conlangs, take a good long
look at the conlangs nominated by others, and discuss them in some
depth before voting.   Quite possibly the specific interesting details
of specific conlangs that come out in those discussions will overcome
some people's disinclination to learn a conlang of a certain type.
Also, the two and a half months or so between the beginning of these
discussions and the voting may give conlang creators some time to
improve their conlang's documentation and/or expand its corpus, or the
portion of it that's available online, which may influence the voting.

(It would sense to update the wiki "Learners shortlist" page from time
to time noting when a conlang's website has had a significant update
since it was nominated.)

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/