[conlang_learners] IE vs non IE

Olivier Simon cafaristeir at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 22:46:33 PDT 2009

Still those technical problems ! I hope Yahoo Mail is not against IE languages
So, I told there are two criteria that can be used to characterize an IE grammar:
- Presence of flexion (this criterium is common with Semitic). Even Modern IE languages still retain some traces.
Examples: Eng. foot = plural: feet
French: "mourir" (to die) = but "il meurt" (he dies)
- The neutral gender has similar forms at the nominative and the accusative. This may come from the fact that Primeval IE had no Nominative for the neutral gender.

Some auxlangs can have their entire vocabulary from IE but they may not fullfill these criteria. I think at Uropi which is not IE grammatically speaking. On the contrary C.Quilès (of the Dnghu Project which aims a revival of Old IE) admitted that Sambahsa has a IE grammar.
Sambahsa is, with Frenkish, the only auxlang which makes use of Ablauts (flexion within a stem) but in Sambahsa, this system is regular.

Jim was right to point out the difference between IE and "Standard Average European".

Personnally, I strove to include Sprachbund features into Sambahsa, from the SAE as well as from the Balkan Sprachbund.

Olivier
http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/