[conlang_learners] If you get scared off, please come back in September.

Brett Williams mungojelly at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 12:14:02 PDT 2009

Hello, as the originator of this project, I would like to thank all of
you for being here, and I'd especially like to thank Jim Henry for the
work he's done organizing this list.

I have just one request of y'all: If you get overwhelmed by the
character or volume of the conversation on this list and feel the need
to drop off, could you please consider coming back again late August
or the beginning of September, to vote and to participate in the
beginning of the project itself?

I'm hoping that the conversation here will be a respectful and a
productive one.  For instance, we're already contacting the creators
of languages to see if they'd be willing to teach them, and otherwise
debating and testing the practicality of various options-- the list
thus produced, of potentially-learnable languages, I hope will be
useful not just for choosing which language we'll all study starting
in September, and not just for future rounds of this game (maybe again
next year?), but also as a sort of catalog to anyone who's interested
in studying an obscure conlang.

This is all just preparation, though, and there's the danger that the
conversation could become heated.  So just please make sure you're
around when it's time for the game itself, when there will be less
argument/debate and more collective fun.

<3,
Brett
aka
bret-ram