[conlang_learners] Thoughts

James Montgomery dreamripple at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 17:27:14 PDT 2009

Hello!

I've been watching the posts and wanted to at least add a few thoughts I've had while reading. I should give a blanket idea of the direction I'm looking at this from, though, for this post to make sense. I believe this project may be as much about preservation than just simply increasing the number of speakers for the given conlang(s).

I agree that it shouldn't be an Auxlang. There are already some established. They really aren't in danger of going away any time soon. Personally, too many are Euroclones.

I think that the first shouldn't be too terribly difficult, either. I think it would be better to work with one that's very manageable in a small amount of time. This will allow for fine-tuning and getting systems set-up for the following conlangs... Which leads me into...

I believe we should also place weight on being able to modify the language. Even if it's with first getting approval from the creator, having one too rigid and archaic, without being able to...update it would seem like the best way to go. For preservation, yes. For practical use, no. Surely we can find a balance.

An example of a language I've looked at seriously in the past was Adelic http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/6297/index.html I has a combination of things going for it, but also has some pitfalls. The largest being that this is the only page left for Adelic that has the whole corpus available to the public.

I was Adelic's plight that led me to eventually find this group. Pages are going down. Authors can't be contacted, repositories are fading away, and I see this as almost as much of a loss as losing a unique Natlang. I'm not trying to be melodramatic, simply trying to point out what we all see happening.

I'll be trolling your posts!

James C. Montgomery