[conlang_learners] Voting

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:15:25 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Padraic Brown<elemtilas at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 7/13/09, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To be honest, mostly what I've seen here so far (and it ìs an important aspect to discuss) is housekeeping stuff. When do we do it, how do we do it, what is it we're actually doing? Haven't seen much group discussion on the languages themselves as of yet. This is another reason not to rush the choice. But neither should it be put off for too long!

There has been discussion on some of the conlangs nominated, but not
as much or on as many of them as I would like.

> Well, that's part of the housekeeping issues that should be discussed early on! How long of a commitment is this going to be? Six months? A year? A decade? I think of the comments I've read regarding a time span, six months to a year would be about right.

Possibly the amount of time we want to minimally spend on the language
is going to depend on the particular language -- not only how hard it
is, but various other factors as well.   It would take longer to get
to a similar level of proficiency in Ithkuil than in Ilomi, I suspect.

>>   When some of us start
>> discussing and voting on what conlang to learn next, even
>> if some are
>> still studying the first-chosen conlang?

> Ideally, sóme people will become truly interested in the chosen language and will decide to keep learning it, even after the project is over.

Yes, that would be the ideal outcome to the project -- to start a
stable speaker community for the chosen conlang that continues to
learn and use said conlang for years to come, joined later by other
people who weren't part of the initial conlang_learners project.

> I suspect that there will be a bunch of people who want to try again with a different language. How long do you keep them waiting before discussing round two?

What about this: a month or so after we vote on what conlang to learn,
when we've all had time to study it concentratedly for a while and get
a feel for how hard it is and how enjoyable it is to learn, we then
vote on how long we want to stick with it, or on when we want to vote
on the next conlang to learn?  Vote then on a number of months to keep
with this conlang, or the date for the next vote to start the next
iteration of the project.   The results should be tallied by a
different method than IRV -- since they're numbers on a continuum,
probably just taking the mean or median would be fair.

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/