[conlang_learners] Now or in September?

Padraic Brown elemtilas at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 10:59:02 PDT 2009

--- On Mon, 7/13/09, Olivier Simon <cafaristeir at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Of course, there is always a problem of subjectivity.
> A certain conlang can appear difficult for some people and
> easy for others. And some conlangs can have a lot of
> material on-line but be unpracticable for simpe
> communication
> (for example, recently, on a French forum, there were
> people boasting that there are whole novels translated into
> "their" conlang, but the same people are unable to
> provide a few translations of short phrases like "I
> would like to eat bread and cheese, but no
> butter"...)

Perhaps the focus should be on those listed langauges that have sufficient materials and documentation to learn. The criteria then become more objective.

> If the vote is due to take place in one month or even
> a few weeks, this would let some time to start
> experimentations "in vivo" and "ex
> ante". One or two voluntaries could be chosen at random
> to learn, or to begin to learn one of the proposed
> conlangs, and later to deliver their opinion. (this
> system might work at least with conlangs whose creator is
> available, like Jim for gjâ-zym-byn, Padraig for Talarian,
> or me for Sambahsa)...
> This may be the least subjective system (?)

A sort of mini-course? It would allow a group of people to test a language and decide, learners and creator together, if that language's documentation is sufficient to the task. Based on that assessment, the creator could either withdraw or sally forth depending.

That should probably be done during July and August when general discussion is going on. This way, the victims...er, volunteers!... can participate in the general discussion as well.

Padraic