[conlang_learners] Thoughts on Jim Henry's gjâ-zym-byn

Jim Henry jimhenry1973 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 08:11:52 PDT 2009

2009/8/31 David E <cryoforion at gmail.com>:
> as a rough
> count (I may be neglecting some distinctions), 35 pulmonic consonants, 5
> clicks/ejectives, and 16 or so vowels.

36 pulmonic consonants, 1 ejective, 4 clicks, 13 oral vowels and 6
phonemic nasal vowels (plus nasal allophones of some of the other oral
vowels).

> to fluidly read gjâ-zym-byn texts aloud. However, the phonology seems (in my
> less-than-educated opinion) quite well documented, so the more technical
> among us would have plenty to sate their curiosity.

I have a few sound-files that I've sent to Brett Williams by private
email; if more people are showing interest in the language, I'll try
to get them on some website or other (but I'm running low on room on
my 10MB Bellsouth homepage, so I'll need to put them somewhere else).

> me!) may need some help sifting through it. There are a few lessons provided
> - the first was a touch difficult to get through, but the others were clear
> and simple enough. However, the body of lessons barely scratches the surface
> of gjâ-zym-byn mechanics, so unless Jim publishes more, we would be doing
> most of our study out of the technical grammar reference.

The lessons are out of date; if they contradict the grammar or
semantics document, the latter two are correct.  If gzb were chosen,
updating the lessons and writing more would move way up my priority
list.

I also have several unfinished or unpolished drafts of new sections
for the semantics and grammar documents, and drafts of new texts that
aren't polished or interlinear-glossed yet; I sent them by private
email to Brett, and to Lars Finsen who's translating into gzb for the
inverse relay.  I just put them on the website in

http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/gzb/drafts.zip

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/