[conlang_learners] voting system

Olivier Simon cafaristeir at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 16 12:47:12 PDT 2009

Sell vesper !

> BTW, may the ballot counters also vote? Or may they not only have no
> conlang of their own under consideration, but may not vote, either?

Hmm.   I suspect that since we plan to  have two or three vote
counters, and they're unlikely to have identical preferences, they can
keep each other honest.  I think we should allow them to vote.  What
do the rest of y'all think?

Yes, the vote counters should vote; frankly, even if we suspected them of being impartial, the fact that themselves can cast a vote or no wouldn't change anything (fortunately, we're not in Iran! )

Can you please be more specific about what you're proposing, either
pointing to an online source such as a Wikipedia article on a very
specific Condorcet-criterion voting method or explaining the method
you have in mind at greater length?

I would simply suggest that we fix the number of how many conlangs each voter can include in its ballot.
When the votes are counted, each conlang gets a number of points according to its order of preference by each voter (Ex: if each voter can propose 10 conlangs, then the first one he/she has proposed gets 10 points, the second one 9 points ans so on). At the end, the vote counters add all the points and can proclaim the winner (the conlang that has gotten the biggest amount of points)

There are only 4 auxlangs on the shortlist, out of 25, by my count.
Are you using "auxlang" as a synonym for "conlang"?

Of course, I meant "conlangs"  (lapsus calami...)

But I consulted a
mathematician friend by email and he recommended IRV.

So, let's follow the mathematician !

Olivier
http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/