[conlang_learners] Abhorrently Late Submission: Feayran

David E cryoforion at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:42:03 PDT 2009

Hello, all!

I'd like to apologize in advance for this horribly late addition to the list
of candidates. My inner perfectionist convinced me that Feayran was not on
par yet for the project, and I've been hurrying to polish it up.
Unfortunately, it still is not as documented as I would like (it's nowhere
near Verdurian's level), but, so it goes. So! The pitch.

Feayran is being developed for a culture in a communal conworld at
www.domhantir.com. Domhantir's conworld is intended for use by a community
of writers as a setting for their work. Therefore, Feayran is designed to
feel "exotic," while still being relatively simple for non-linguistic types
to pick up and use.

Since Feayran was originally intended for use on an online forum, its
orthography is purely QWERTY compatible and requires no diacritics or
special characters.

I have put together a technical grammar which covers all the crucial
components of Feayran morphology; I will continue to expand it with more
complex structures. Additionally, I am in the process of creating a language
course on its website, http://feayran.webs.com, which will cater toward a
less technical audience and focus on learning by application. The first
chapter of the course is online, with the second well on the way.

On the website's Translations page, there are a number of sample passages -
mostly fables or myths from Feayran culture, though the Babel Text is also
included. The Lord's Prayer and other classic translations will be
forthcoming.

In terms of weaknesses, Feayran is designed for a more "primitive" culture
and therefore lacks a lot of words in our modern vernacular. I like the idea
of Verdurian's "secret" dictionary and will work on putting together a
similar group of content for Feayran, but as of yet, that hasn't been done.

Also, of course, there's the detail of my submitting the language less than
a week before polling, so I expect it won't get too much consideration, as
people won't have much time to evaluate it. But, preparing it for
"publication" was a good exercise, and for what it's worth, I share it with
you. There are a number of facets to the language (particularly its stance
system, verb morphology, and voicing framework) which I think may be
intriguing to those who have time to investigate.

Many thanks! I look forward to diving into the selected conlang after polls
complete!

--Trailsend